please dont let this topic die! this is a BIG problem, the situation from my perspective is:
- some people in the past had done a big mistake (but "graves are plenty of 'day after knoweledge' someone understand this??.. ") presuming calculators had to speak a 24 letter idiom forever..
- that hubrys provoked the kaos|god|nature|big number law's susceptibility and the ol'trick of Babel's Tower come into play again and someone stand up screaming: Cäñ û ëâr mê ¿
- meanwhile a demiurg was crafting a powerful tool to Practically Export and Report LotOfThings..
Eras has passed and now we have:
- a lot of poor minded coders (with me in pole position..) mazed by complexity of dealing with subtle differences between two different point of viewing the some shaggy tail of bits
- a lot of guru coders not so happy beacause some of their pack, syswrite or whatelse spells have lost the shining of primeval eras..
- a crew of heroes trying to heroicly|naively resolve this babel releasing new versions of The Tool that consider the babel, but not completely, leaving the choice to disable this, or that, or use that other .. (they are fine leaving us some freedom: no sarcasm at all)..
and no one is happy!
Please some one write down the "Travel in Babel's lands with Perl in a pocket" tutorial.
If can i add something I think the used semantic of the english term Encode is a little misleading for non english peoples..
I discovered babel some times ago and i asked for wisdom about length in Size and anatomy of an HTTP response
As done there I invite everyone intersted to read (after the canonical texts: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. )also The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets (No Excuses!)
there are no rules, there are no thumbs..
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||