I love the ChatterBox, I really do. On good days it is a hopping place where one can have a rousing conversation and get all kinds of help. When the quiet moments strike, it tends to get a bit sad even with the few variations of the message and all is quiet.... I would like to suggest a few more messages that could be helpful.
- The stupid question is the question unasked. - Just a saying I picked up from a teacher.
- Don't ask to ask, just ask. - Just normal advice that most places have.
- If you are about to do a for..push consider a map instead. - Why not put nuggets of coding wisdom in there?
- We don't bite newbies here. - A friendly message so scared newbies will get involved.
- Your scratchpad is a good place to put your stuff, someone might read it even if you don't ask. - It would be nice if Your scratchpad was linked to the user's scratchpad.
- Clear questions and runnable code get the best and fastest advice. - I learned that from ikegami.
- Do you know where your variables are? - A nudge about scoping variables.
Little things like that would spice of the messages in the chatterbox when someone like me decides to just watch it for an hour when no one is saying anything. Since the messages also show up in the Chatterbox Nodelet, they could be helpful there too. I know this is probably a silly idea, but why not give it a shot? :)
Update: Add another item to the list.
Have a cookie and a very nice day!
Are you posting in the right place? Check out Where do I post X? to know for sure.
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags. Currently these include the following:
<code> <a> <b> <big>
<blockquote> <br /> <dd>
<dl> <dt> <em> <font>
<h1> <h2> <h3> <h4>
<h5> <h6> <hr /> <i>
<li> <nbsp> <ol> <p>
<small> <strike> <strong>
<sub> <sup> <table>
<td> <th> <tr> <tt>
Snippets of code should be wrapped in
<code> tags not
<pre> tags. In fact, <pre>
tags should generally be avoided. If they must
be used, extreme care should be
taken to ensure that their contents do not
have long lines (<70 chars), in order to prevent
horizontal scrolling (and possible janitor
Want more info? How to link
or How to display code and escape characters
are good places to start.