A mac running Darwin/OSX is as capable for development as any Linux box. In fact, some would argue, even more
Keep in mind a few things:
- The default filesystem is case-insensitive. Yeah, unlike all boxes in the Unix world. So, there's a few CPAN modules that blow up for that. You can either avoid those, or make a UFS filesystem to mount as needed.
- Nearly any interesting "unix" tool is available either in Fink or DarwinPorts. However, neither of them cover the entire list of interesting things, and installing stuff from both will be troublesome and redundant. And for other things, you'll have to install things yourself anyway (like I build a daily updated version of Emacs from CVS, so that I can get a nice Carbon Emacs that acts Mac-like).
- Yes, there is a Perl community at Apple, and Perl is fully supported on the Mac.
- You can write XCode programs with a natural Mac GUI, using Perl code to implement the triggers, using Camelbones. By You, I mean someone smarter than me, because I still haven't gotten my head completely around it.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||