I guess you can say I prefere both. I know thats probably a boring answer but it is true. I started with "Learning Perl" then went to the Camel book and then went to the Panther book. All three have been very valuable in learning Perl but what has been the most helpful to me is PM and the ability to rummage through it. 90% of the time I can find an answer. The other 10% of the time I post a question and it gets answered within 24 hours of it being posted regardless of whether the question is a simple one or not. The books have given me the ability to deduce a lot about Perl programming by feeding me information and insight the author has bothered to put there "If you do this, that will happen ... try it, you'll see." I have an extensive Perl library that I use very often. I just like reading the technical books. I guess I can attribute the fact that I have such an easy time with Perl to those books and can't really answer the question as to why I have such a hard time with other programing languages despite the fact that I have books on them as well.
So bearing the obvious answer to the question as to whether you need a copy of the Camel book or not. Its really up to you. There will be programmers who say that your not complete without a copy and poopoo you for not having one but your not programming to make them happy are you?
Are you posting in the right place? Check out Where do I post X? to know for sure.
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags. Currently these include the following:
<code> <a> <b> <big>
<blockquote> <br /> <dd>
<dl> <dt> <em> <font>
<h1> <h2> <h3> <h4>
<h5> <h6> <hr /> <i>
<li> <nbsp> <ol> <p>
<small> <strike> <strong>
<sub> <sup> <table>
<td> <th> <tr> <tt>
Snippets of code should be wrapped in
<code> tags not
<pre> tags. In fact, <pre>
tags should generally be avoided. If they must
be used, extreme care should be
taken to ensure that their contents do not
have long lines (<70 chars), in order to prevent
horizontal scrolling (and possible janitor
Want more info? How to link or
or How to display code and escape characters
are good places to start.