- Ether exists.
- Phlogiston exists.
- Maggots on rotting food are spontaneously generated.
- The earth is flat.
- It is impossible to write structured Perl.
- Perl is only useful for text-processing.
- ESP is possible.
- Crop circles must be of extraterrestrial origin.
- Perl is a write-once language.
- The tooth fairy took your old tooth and left you some money.
- Computers can do anything.
- It is possible to trisect any angle using only compass and straightedge.
- The Internet has created a New Economy which is not bound by the rules of the old economy.
We happen to know (I hope)
all of them are flat-out wrong
. And each has been stated in the past as true. For some of them there is very little empirical evidence; for the rest, there is none.
The only question is: into which category are you putting AI? That people have been wrong is no argument, either way. So why repeat the point that people have incorrectly claimed that possible things are impossible? People have also correctly claimed that impossible things are impossible!
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||