It now seems abundantly clear that Embperl development/discussion has become very dormant. Perhaps it has been abandoned. I don't wish to criticize Gerald for abandoning this project, rather, I would like to thank him for his fine work. I have been using Embperl professionally since the beginning and am very grateful to him.
Now I am at a crossroads of sorts - I have to choose between continuing to develop in Embperl or migrating my code (lots of it) to another product that is actively supported. I think it's hard for me to justify continuing Embperl development to my client given that the product lacks:
- ample documentation
- an active community (a la PHP) (and no, I do not like or advocate PHP)
So my question to the community is this: which language/product should I use instead of Embperl/Embperl Object?
Here are my priorities:
- Camelness: I would prefer to stay under the Perl umbrella if possible. I am not unwilling to learn other languages if necessary but Perl rocks!
- Power: Properly implemented, Embperl/Embperl Object is VERY powerful and productive. I don't want to downgrade to an inferior product
- Open Source: of course
- Continuity: I need to choose a product that is not on it's way to retirement
- Documentation: Something well documented (perhaps supported by an O'Reilly book).
- Community: There should be an active community with active discussion boards and more than one person enhancing/maintaining the product
- Linux: Microsoft is out of the question.