in reply to Finding the path
- as far as generic tools you didn't list -- pack and unpack are extremely powerful. You might already know them, but worth mentioning.
- learn to use templates (Template::Toolkit is a good one).
- try writing your own module, with unit tests -- use http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=158999 as a guide.
- What's this Moose thing all about?
- Read some of the Meditaions (example: reading and modifying bitmaps in pure perl)
- stop writing perl scripts, start writing perl programs.