I am looking for suggestions of modules to build a framework with, tutorials or websites with good information, and if there are any books you all would suggest on the subject.
In addition to those books already mentioned there are good chapters on testing in Perl Medic and Advanced Perl Programming, Second Edition.
Online there are a bunch of useful links at http://del.icio.us/tag/perl+testing.
In the non-perl specific world I'd also take a look at:
- General blog/portal/aggregator site on testing.
Mostly TDD. Some Perl occasionally.
- Really excellent online materials on testing - but has
a far bigger scope than just developer written automated
unit tests. For those considering testing as a career
Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context Driven Approach,
Cem Kaner, James Bach, Brett Pettichord
- Very readable book on software testing in general. A collection
of hundreds of good practices and tips.
Test Driven Development, Kent Beck
- Everybody should read it. It's thin too :-)
Test Driven Development: A Practical Guide, Dave Astels
- Nice intro to TDD. Covers various xUnit frameworks in
several languages (not Perl unfortunately)
Pragmatic Unit Testing In Java with JUnit, Andy Hunt, Dave Thomas
- Mostly JUnit, but well written. As long as you can
read Java you should be able to take useful stuff
away from it.