Is there a site like PerlMonks for Java/PHP/Linux/SQL/Perl6/etc.?
On one hand, we can't point you to other language sites with any kind of authoritativeness, and would recommend that you Google or Wikipedia the language to see what's where. On the other hand, we could parrot the rumors we've heard about where various language users go to give/receive help. Below is the best intel we have so far. Please feel free to brief SiteDocClan if you have better information. PerlMonks makes no representation as to the quality of these resources, nor of their similarity (by any measure) to PerlMonks. In general, you should expect that they won't be as useful or as entertaining. :-)
CommunitiesUsually meaning an affiliated assortment of mailing lists, forums, chat rooms, social networks, blog nets, usenet newsgroups, etc.
- Ruby => ruby-lang.org
- Python => python.org
- PHP => php.net
- Tcl => tck.tk
- Lua => lua.org (official); lua-users.org (unofficial)
- Scheme => schemers.org
- Java => java.sun.com; java.net; Javalobby; JavaRanch.com (for beginners)
ForumsFor some languages and technologies, the best interactive resources appear to be simple forums:
- C/C++/C# => cprogramming.com
- C++ => cplusplus.com
- Many languages & technologies, including any of the above, as well as Perl => devshed.com; codeguru.com; dzone.com; stackoverflow.com
Do you know of a (better) community site?
By the way... This question comes up with some regularity. Behold:
- Is there a Javamonks?
- (OT)Python monks?
- Parrot Monks?
- Are there PM-like sites for java, python?
- OT: Monks, C/C++ edition?
- OT: JavaJunkies (Javamonks sorta)
- Sites similar to Perl Monks, but not about Perl?
- Offtopic post. Want your input on an idea
- Python Monks?
- OT: Is there a UnixMonks.com?
- a pm.org for the C++ community
- Perl monkish sites
- Life Monks
- life beyond PerlMonks?
- Off Topic: Java Monks, continued...
- Insert Language Here Monks
- PerlMonks6 ?
- Computer Monks
- SQuirreL Monks
- My name is 6, Perl 6
Often, when people are looking for a PerlMonks-like site for another area of interest, and discover that no such thing exists, they turn to the idea of creating one. They then ask the question: Can I get the PerlMonks source code?
Back to PerlMonks FAQ