Automating things is always a Good Thing™. A few things I find interesting though.
- You use system() to copy a file. Not very Perl'ish ;)
- Setting the "van" and "tm" variables are first stored in an array, then converted to a scalar, why?
- User settings are hardcoded in the script. Shouldn't be a configuration file be easier?
- This script is probably invoked by cron, a "--silent" switch would be nice.
- $sdate (and others) will be in this format: 27-7-5, while "2005-07-27" probably makes more sense to international users.
- Script dies when target start date has not been reached yet. This is a Bad Thing™ for other %users. next would be nicer in the foreach loop.
PS: isn't a BASH script easier for such tasks? ;)
All code is usually tested, but rarely trusted.