I thought he was trying to process logs..?
It's nice to think that. Actually Larry was trying to find the the rabbit as quickly as the KGB, but really the Perl story should go like this:
- NRO satellite photos show unidentified creature with long ears.
- Appears to be eating elongated orange object.
- NSA reports unusually high frequency of the character string "rabbit" in intercepted communications.
- Larry Wall, a young and upcoming hacker, helps to decode the communications with a new language he calls "Perl".
- Larry Wall appointed to high-level governmental committee to study the problem and make recommendations.
- State Department tries to get allied support for a preventative strike against attack rabbit network reported to have been recently activated.
- Delta force rumored to be hunting rabbits in Mojave Desert.
- CIA tries to infiltrate agents into target area. But station chief has cover blown by investigative reporter from the Iranian newspaper "Hares-bullah Star and Crescent".
- 6th Fleet sets sail for Middle East on routine training mission, planned months in advance.
- Helicopter assault group gets lost in sandstorm, with heavy casualties resulting.
- Rabbits pose with corpses, proclaim a great victory.
- Air Force jets bomb rabbit hutch, hitting nearby chicken coop instead. Some jets lost to unknown enemy countermeasures, chicken feathers reported near engines of downed jets.
- Rabbit disappears into desert with badly scratched paw.
- Decides to become a pacifist and go into pharmaceutical business.