Just before this thread dives into throwing apples and oranges at each other.
What is a "religion"?
There are many very different dimensions
- believing in higher beings/deities
- ethical behavior (commandments like "don't kill" to "don't
fart drive cars" )
- political impact (e.g. cast system or using priests as functionaries or seeing a king as gods representative )
- adopted traditions (from Christmas trees to female circumcision)
- ethnic group thru strict endogamy *
@Erix: Darwin didn't solve the problem of the watchmaker, and Kant proved long ago that there can't be any proof either way.
Instead of discussing the badly defined R-word we should concentrate on aspects affecting our past and future - especially in a globalized world.
Are you posting in the right place? Check out Where do I post X? to know for sure.
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags. Currently these include the following:
<code> <a> <b> <big>
<blockquote> <br /> <dd>
<dl> <dt> <em> <font>
<h1> <h2> <h3> <h4>
<h5> <h6> <hr /> <i>
<li> <nbsp> <ol> <p>
<small> <strike> <strong>
<sub> <sup> <table>
<td> <th> <tr> <tt>
Snippets of code should be wrapped in
<code> tags not
<pre> tags. In fact, <pre>
tags should generally be avoided. If they must
be used, extreme care should be
taken to ensure that their contents do not
have long lines (<70 chars), in order to prevent
horizontal scrolling (and possible janitor
Want more info? How to link or
or How to display code and escape characters
are good places to start.