|Think about Loose Coupling
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not familiar with ddump yet...this is a part of something called GHC ? That is a little over my head it seems. I would probably need a system administrators help installing that so I prefer looking at other methods first.
Running variations of the test script I found the following that might provide additional clues:
When I add the line below $charset does return the correct charset for the problem URL on the 'good' server (windows-874):
On the other two servers $charset remains empty for some reason. Bundle::LWP (which includes HTTP::Message that provides the content_charset method ) is identical on the three servers though.
When I specify 'windows-874' as a default_charset or charset the test works on all three servers as expected, but the test URLs are just example cases and in the live situation the charset is unknown.