I've had a bit more time to poke around in the catacombs.
From Perl Monks turns 5 we learn from vroom that:
5 years ago today, Perl Monks opened its doors for the first time. yiango and BBQ were among the first to wander in.
Apart from setting the official Perl Monks birthday at Dec 23,
this historic post indicates that yiango
was the first "non-insider" Perl Monk.
Of course, it also confirms that the first eight Perl Monks were indeed "insiders":
either original Perl Monks site developers or their friends (or groupies) ...
of course, who has a supernatural genesis, beyond the shadow of a doubt.
That leaves the two most mysterious "insiders" as:
No. 6 sgtbaker; and No. 7 pschoonveld.
sgtbaker remains by far the most mysterious because examining pschoonveld's posting history
has revealed some further insights:
- In this node, Ovid admits having had a beer with pschoonveld and "finds him rather cool". Update: the "pants not required" advice given to Ovid further indicates that pschoonveld was part of the BSI culture where wearing pants was optional ("The BSI motto. We believe that pants constrict us, so at our offical corporate headquarters, we wear clothing that doesn't restrict the flow of air around our genitals").
- On their home nodes, both Jouke and Beatnik claim to have met this mysterious early monk in real life. He probably attended YAPC::Europe in Amsterdam in 2001.
- According to this node, pschoonveld taught vroom how to swear in Dutch in preparation for his upcoming visit to the Netherlands.
- Finally, this early node describes a gripping duel in a local bar, indicating that vroom and pschoonveld were drinking buddies in the early days.
Since he was not listed as an official Everything developer by nate
and since his CV indicates he was officially working for venux.net at that time,
I deduce that the mysterious pschoonveld
was a Hope College buddy of vroom
hung out on the early Perl Monks web site for entertainment in his spare time (when not at the Pub).
BTW, and curiously, this early node is a (deep) meditation posted by nate on Sep 09 1999 ...
more than three months before he joined!
Update: Found a sgtbaker
user on everything2.com where his school is listed as Hope College
and his company as Everything Development Company.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||