|laziness, impatience, and hubris|
Re: Nodes 1 .. 1000by erzuuli (Friar)
|on May 08, 2019 at 20:45 UTC||Need Help??|
Regarding Node 111:
As of this writing, node 111 does not exist, and probably hasn't for quite some time.
111: Guest User: by vroom
Then chromatic adds this comment:
The date is probably the release date of the Engine vroom used to set things up.I have no idea why he said that.
Now here's the interesting thing I just discovered:
If you look at the file nodetype in the Type Tree, you'll see:
Now, deleters (and other "authorized accessors") are either users, usergroups, or AccessRules. In the case of node 111, it could only have been a user or a usergroup, as only those predate.
My conclusion is that it was indeed a user; and likely a user named Guest User. This is probably the user which was meant to be what we now now as Anonymous Monk. The fact that its intended role was taken over by the latter explains why it was destroyed.
Looking on E2, we see Guest User, created on 1999-10-07 ... a mere three days after our Guest User!
Oddly, its node_id is rather high: 779713. And it's not at all clear that E2's Guest User serves the same role as our Anonymous Monk / Slashdot's Anonymous Coward. It is credited with no writeups on E2.
Should I make any changes?
I could re-create the user node and give it ID 111 and title "Guest User". This would have the effect of making Guest User not a failure and giving the file nodetype a valid Deleters. I don't know that either of these is worthwhile. No one uses the file nodetype; there are no extant nodes of this type.
All it would do is crank up the "referential integrity" of the site a bit. But as they say: it ain't broke, so don't "fix" it.
I fixed it. :-)
I created a user node. Then I posted this note. (Its node ID was one higher than the new user.) Then I reassigned the new user node's ID to be 111. That left a gap in the node id sequence where the new user was. So I reassigned this note's ID to put it in that space. Unfortunately, that left at gap, so I created a file to fill it. ;-D
It turns out that node 111 (Guest User) still existed -- in the tomb! That's where nuked nodes go. And the gods have a function whereby nodes in the tomb can be raised to life again. So I did that for node 111. However, to do that, I had to make room for it at slot 111 (as well as the node title, i.e. the user name). So I changed the node ID of the one I had created to 11100000, and then raised the original Guest User into slot 111. Unfortunately, placing a node at ID 11100000 had the effect of setting the node ID sequence to that value; so all subsequent nodes will start from there. Sadly... This creates a huge gap in the node ID sequence. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! :-(