in reply to XSLT vs Templating, Part 2

Wow, nice set of tests!

It's a little unfair on the XSLT stuff, since you're going from DBI to XML to String to XML to XSLT. I need to update XML::Generator::DBI to output SAX2 (which I'm doing right now), after which you'll be able to go direct from XML::Generator::DBI into XML::LibXML::SAX::Builder, and skip the string phase completely.

I may even run the tests to see how it fares for me. I'll reply here after I've made those updates!

Replies are listed 'Best First'.
Re: Re: XSLT vs Templating, Part 2
by gellyfish (Monsignor) on Feb 07, 2002 at 12:23 UTC

    Alternatively you can cause XML::Generator::DBI to use the XML::Handler::BuildDOM as a handler in order to generate a DOM object that can then be fed to XML::XSLT again cutting out the intermediate reparse of the XML.

    I am toying with the idea of providing a utility to create modules that encapsulate preparsed DOM objects from XSLT so that step can be taken out as well if anyone is interested


Re: Re: XSLT vs Templating, Part 2
by Matts (Deacon) on Feb 07, 2002 at 16:10 UTC
    OK, I hacked on this a bit. It seems that almost without a doubt the bottleneck is in XML::Generator::DBI (I added a tiny benchmark to the single sub, and generate took 11u, xslt took 1u and output took 1u. So I'm going to update it to SAX2, and make sure it goes faster. There's a lot of cruft in there, and I've learnt some about how to make DBI calls faster since I wrote it.

    You can make things faster by simply changing your generator to:

    my $generator = XML::Generator::DBI->new( Handler => XML::LibXML::SAX::Builder->new(), dbh => $dbh, RowElement => "monk" );
    Which seems to work (even without updating XML::Generator::DBI). Then you have to add ->toString to your calls for the TT level stuff. It makes all three faster - by about 40%.
Re: Re: XSLT vs Templating, Part 2
by Matts (Deacon) on Feb 07, 2002 at 16:48 UTC
    Ah, it makes a big difference if you also turn off indenting on XML::Generator::DBI (pass NoIndent => 1 to new()). I think that should be the default!