in reply to Re^2: CPAN tests failing
in thread CPAN tests failing

From what I can tell by your CPAN layout, your directory structure should look like this:

lib /RandomJungle /File |- |- |- |- /Tree |- |- |- |-

Congrats on your first upload btw! For me, it was a stressful thing to do, and it took me a very long time and very much research before my first one :)

Update: Let us know when you've got it updated and I'll install and test it.

Replies are listed 'Best First'.
Re^4: CPAN tests failing
by bobf (Monsignor) on Apr 28, 2012 at 18:12 UTC

    Close. It should be:

    lib /RandomJungle <= note spelling /File |- |- |- |- /Tree |- |- |- |-

    Thanks for the congrats. There is definitely a learning curve involved. I've been creating private modules for local use for years, but this is the first time I've tried to package one up for public release.

    FWIW, I used ExtUtils::ModuleMaker to create the stubs and then copied my files into the structure. For some reason I assumed the parent directory (RandomJungle) was taken from the name of the distro and /lib contained everything in that virtual directory. As I said above, I added the parent dir into /lib and re-released. Fingers crossed. :-)

    I also tested the packaged dist locally before I uploaded it to PAUSE, but I think the other files in my path were helping the tests to pass when they should have failed.

    Update: Thanks very much for offering to test the dist! The new release (ver 0.03) hasn't been pushed from the PAUSE FTP directory into my CPAN dir as of this post, but it should show up soon.

      After downloading the tarball of v0.03:

      steve@ubuntu:~/devel/RandomJungle-0.03$ make test PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_h +arness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t t/DB_01.t ......... ok t/Jungle_01.t ..... ok t/OOB_01.t ........ ok t/RAW_01.t ........ ok t/Tree_01.t ....... ok t/Tree_02.t ....... ok t/Tree_Node_01.t .. ok t/XML_01.t ........ ok All tests successful. Files=8, Tests=1346, 6 wallclock secs ( 0.29 usr 0.05 sys + 5.04 cu +sr 0.71 csys = 6.09 CPU) Result: PASS

      However, I had to install DBM::Deep and XML::Twig, so you might want to throw them into the PREREQ_PM in your Makefile.PL

        That's quite encouraging. Thanks for testing it for me!

        Thanks for pointing out the missed dependencies, too. I thought I combed through things carefully, but I still missed them. I'll update the prereq list.

        Update: Update complete. Released as 0.04.

      I too have written hundreds of modules, but only have a few on CPAN. Over the years I used h2xs, but lately I've been testing out Module::Starter's command line util to build my skeleton.

      I've also recently found the cpan-upload binary installed via CPAN::Uploader to be very handy... no need to visit PAUSE at all :)

      Later on this afternoon when I get back in, I'll let you know how my install and tests go of your module.



        Better yet, I've got a shell alias "cpan-publish" that does all this:

        sudo cpanm $distfile cpan-upload $distfile mv $distfile ~/perl5/published/ echo "Don't forget to 'hg tag' the release!"
        perl -E'sub Monkey::do{say$_,for@_,do{($monkey=[caller(0)]->[3])=~s{::}{ }and$monkey}}"Monkey say"->Monkey::do'

        I've recently switched to github + Dist::Zilla. The learning curve was, in my experience, very steep. However, the simplified actions seem to be worth it.

        Well, except for one thing: I don't think anyone has downloaded any of my modules (and, if they did, they didn't use them). But that's tangential to the upload method. :-)